Friday 23 November 2012

Next up, Central America (at last)



The last big adventure led to Travellin' Mama, which was about the funny stuff that happens on the road with kids, (and all the incredibly annoying shit that makes you want to start smoking again).
This time around, the kids are a bit older. I like to think we’re all a wee bit wiser. And I have no second thoughts about the wisdom of taking them on a two-month journey through Central America –starting eight sleeps from now with a side trip to New York City, D.C. and Miami.

This latest odyssey might lead to another book some day, but it almost certainly won’t be about travelling with kids.
Because how much more is there to say, really? I could tell you that even when things go pear-shaped, travelling with kids is still insanely rewarding. I could wax lyrical on the pleasures of forced family fun. Maybe throw in a few platitudes about giving kids experiences rather than things.

But I won’t be saying anything that Travellin’ Mama doesn’t already cover.
So for those of you who haven’t bought the book, why not give it a go? The reviews give me cause to think it’s not just me (and my friends) who find it funny!

Meantime, follow this blog to see what crazy shit we can get up to in the Big Apple and beyond, backpacking and busing around Panama – the Pearl Islands, the Canal, the Highlands and Bocas del Toro – and on to Costa Rica’s Osa Peninsula and the Nicaraguan jungle.
And remember Mark Twain, who said it so well: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

3 comments:

Andrew @ She Thinks I'm Cheap said...

This is a great story, it's amazing to read about parents traveling with children. When our time comes I hope we'll be able to do the same!

Do you or your husband speak spanish? It would be a great opportunity for the kids to learn another language.

Panama and Costa Rica are stunning countries. I had plans to go to Nicaragua as well but injured my back jumping off a waterfall, such is life I guess!

Nancy Harper said...

Thanks Andrew!
We don't speak Spanish but I do have a little book I plan to break out on the train trip. Try to get a few useful phrases at least. Thanks for your support, and happy travels!

Jane said...

Very inspired by this to take my kids somewhere exciting other than Southampton of course! Babys only 1 so will have to start taking them somewhere fun soon - looking forward to reading all the adventures Nancy!